Parco Sempione is the green lung of Milan and it is situated in the heart of the city. The park covers a space of approximately 40 acres along the route between the Castle Sforzesco and the Arch of Peace.
The construction of the area started in 1890 and it was designed by Emilio Alemagna to locate the pavilions of the 1906 International Expo.
A part from the natural side, the park is a cointaner of historical monuments and museums.
Here a list of the main signts to visit:
Bridge of Mermaids (Parco delle Sirenette)
The bridge named after the four statues that characterize it. Constructed in in 1842 by Francesco Tettamanzi, it is believed to be the first metal bridge built in Italy and before was positioned on the naviglio della Martesana (Martesan canal) on via Visconti di Modrone.
The tower is 108.60 meters high and it was designed in 1933 by Gio Ponti and assembled in just two and a half months to inaugurate the fifth Triennial. It is possible to come up to have an amazing view of the city.
The museum is one of the most important institutions of the city for design, decorative art, urban planning, visual arts and architecture.
It has its headquarters at the Palazzo dell’Arte, built by Giovanni Muzio in the ’30 to have a permanent home for the Triennial exhibitions of decorative arts that were held at the Villa Reale in Monza.
The Triennale Design Museum was inaugurated in 2007, designed by Michele De Lucchi, and its set-up changes annually, varying both subject and curator.
Acqua Marcia Fountain
The fountain is famous for being considered in the past a magic care for health thanks to its high sulphur content.
It has an actonal shape with 8 mouths from which the water goes out.
There are two other fountains of Acqua Marcia in Milan, but the only still active is that of Sempione park.
The aquarium is the only building left of the International Expo in 1906. After the restoration, completed in 2006, the interior space was designed to include didactic exhibition and research areas with numerous pools of water containing more than a hundred species of aquatic organisms.
The Arena was designed by Luigi Canonica and built in 1806 with materials from the demolition of the Castello’s fortifications. Today the Arena hosts sporting events and competitions.